The most important for DBA is to have and save a disk space on server for this reason i use a different physical source from the SQL Server instance.
- In one server we have installed and configured SQL Server 2012 or 2014 instance only that
- In another for example storage we have all mdf, ldf, bak file
Is achieved from another physical location to use these file from SQL Server instance.
I will shows the steps which has been taken to realize with success this very useful technical:
- You should start the SQL service with domain account in the same with the storage
- Open SSMS & connect to your local instance
- Move your mdf and ldf file in different physical location
- From your local SQL Server instance please go to Attach process but from T-SQL write the command
CREATE DATABASE [TEST1] ON
( FILENAME = N’\\storageip\foldername\TEST1.mdf’ ),
( FILENAME = N’\\storageip\foldername\TEST1_log.ldf’ )
And Execute it.