Article by Atdhe Buja
Published on PCWorld.al
One thing that should never be forgotten is that everything from Government and Business have similarities in terms of operation and functionality, because they are organizations devoted to customer or citizen services. They can not exist without a citizen.
Application of the program for the development of mobile technology
Initiation by government institutions of the mobile technology development program would help agencies in a safer development and lower cost of mobile applications. In this case, the recipient of m-service delivery will be the citizen.
Standards and frameworks
To achieve success regardless of where we live and act, as professionals should have the same approach to the application, implementation and practical use of standards and frameworks. One of the world’s most popular frameworks is the so-called COBIT Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies, which plays a very important role in stabilizing and standardizing all processes within the government and the organization. It determines the role and responsibility of stakeholders in all processes, and more specifically helps in the realization of programs, national strategies, projects, auditing and monitoring, and finally assessing the situation based on the processes that are implemented and all these are defined and established as mechanisms In the institution and organization. Standards as the main objective are to provide a common language so that buyers, suppliers, developers, managers, and technicians involved in software development can understand.
Only through planning clearly defining the business processes of the organization or institution can be thought of achieving success and that based on international standards and frameworks. Continuing commitment of the leadership and management in organizations or governmental institutions should be to improve the process by increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery to customers or citizens.
There are many ways to evaluate current business processes and improve them, one of them is also known as Business Process Improvement – BPI.
Development of opportunities through problem solving and logical thinking
The current situation of staff skills and knowledge in government institutions in our country have demonstrated the need for the implementation of a training program in specific areas, in addition to those training with a focus on ready software products. Government institutions to support and manage staff problem solving require the development of staff knowledge and skills through the training program.
Based on the model ADDIE – Analysis, Design, Development, Implementation, Evaluation Which presents a series of processes for effective training and performance building, government institutions can benefit from capacity building from applying this model to the training program.
Identifying whether training is needed or not easily done by asking questions and answers as follows:
- Is the officer’s ability to perform the duties?
- Is the officer willing to perform the duties?
- Is the officer authorized to perform duties?
In all those three cases the answer and the questions is different so even training program and approach should be proper to the case.
From the necessity of the staff training program in specific areas, the objectives of this training program are as follows:
- Audience or dedicated to IT administrators and support staff, sector leaders;
- Applying methods eg. Case studies, group work, problem solving by training within the workplace;
- Changing the current state of skill, knowledge and performance in a desired state;
- Reducing time in problem solving;
- Training with appropriate knowledge for planning and project management with modern methodologies, since the early stages of meeting the requirements;
- Knowledge of international standards related to the entire software development process ISO / IEC15504, management of systems and software ISO / IEC12207 and 15288;
- Application of Procedures and Checks for ISMS Institution Assets – Information Security Management System ISO / IEC27001 and 27002, eg. Databases, applications, licenses, devices, electronic records etc;
- Knowledge of the various frameworks that help implement the application of IT standards like those of COBIT, ITIL; and
- Ability to handle and solve cyber security issues.
Leaders and managers with their positive engagement and influence have the opportunity to change the existing environment by improving some factors and providing solutions to them, such an approach is presented in the following table:
|Improve the way of giving information||Knowledge management through meetings and discussions|
|Knowledge training||On-the-job training, training using case studies|
|Motivation||Acknowledgments and rewards for the work done, group work|
Recommendations – based on the ADDIE model, an analysis of the current state of ICT in the public sector in Kosovo has been conducted on three levels, together with the necessary interventions to improve the current situation, presented in the following table:The implementation of this training program would improve the situation and would provide opportunities for expanding logical and analytical knowledge, skills, and opening opportunities for implementing or applying standards from the staff itself. Such a status achieved will increase the performance of government institutions in the provision of public services, the realization of objectives and motivation of staff.